2002 BENELLI TORNADO LE “LIMITED EDITION”
Novecento Tre LE – (Ninehundred cc – Three cylinder – Limited Edition)
2001 Marked the return of Benelli, with their first new bike in decades – The Tornado Tre 900 Superbike. These are also the last true Italian designed and produced bikes by Benelli in their home town of Pesaro before the company sold to the Chinese.
Benelli’s objective with this bike was clear: To Project the Ideal Sports Motorcycle !
The Tornado is a uniquely styled superbike, as the design was to reduce the frontal profile to make the bike as slippery and aerodynamic as possible. The engine was cut from 4 to 3 cylinders and the widest mechanical part, being the radiator was placed under the seat section. Air is then channeled through ducts either side of the headlight to the radiator and if you look closely at the rear end, you can see two yellow radiator fans underneath the brake light.
After Benelli went World Superbike Racing in 2001 and 2002, they revealed their very exclusive and hand-built homologation Tornado based on their World Superbike racer. Only 150 of these exclusive hand crafted units were ever built. The bike in picture is number 52.
It is adorned with:
- The entire bodywork, including petrol tank, indicators and number plate holder are made from Carbon Fibre.
- Marchesini forged aluminium wheel
- Titanium Arrow exhaust
- Ohlins front and rear suspension
- Brembo front and rear brakes
- Chrome Molybdenum front frame mixed with hollow cast aluminium rear box section
- Cast Magnesium engine parts
- Paintwork in special Benelli Green and Silver
- A plaque on the frame signifying which number of the 150 bikes produced it is (bike in picture being number 52)
- Each bike was delivered with a Benelli track stand, embroidered indoor bike cover, a briefcase with sprocket sets and track trinkets with the Benelli tool kit.
- Engine – 898cc, liquid cooled, 3 cylinder, DOHC, 4 valves per cylinder
- Bore x Stroke – 85.3 x 52.4mm
- Compression Ratio – 11.0:1
- Sagem, electronic ignition with 1 injector for each cylinder
- Transmission 6-speed with dry clutch
- Final Drive – Chain
- Weight – 185 dry
- Tyres – front 120/70-ZR17 , rear 180/55-ZR17
- Max Power – 104kW / 140hp @11500rpm
- Max Torque – 95Nm / 70.1lb-ft @ 8800rpm
More from our Museum
BMW HP4 "High Performance Four" The HP label stands for High Performance and this HP series was founded by BMW in 2005. After the boxer models HP2 Megamoto, the HP2 Enduro and the HP2 Sport, the BMW HP4 is the first 4-cylinder motorcycle in the HP family. The BMW HP4...
BMW HP2 SPORT "High-Performance Twin"A true Race Replica from the Bayerische Motoren Werke! This is a surprisingly faithful replica of the factory's endurance racer, performance before unheard of from a road-going BMW.BMW Motorrad deliberately decided to further...
1982 DUCATI 900 MHR "Mike Hailwood Replica" Mike Hailwood also known as "Mike the Bike" is one of the most celebrated racers of all time. Having won 76 Grand Prix, 112 Grand Prix podiums, 14 Isle of Man TT wins and 9 World Championships. In 1978 after an 11 year break...