2002 Benelli Tornado Le “Limited Edition”
Novecento Tre LE – (Ninehundred cc – Three cylinder – Limited Edition)
2001 Marked the return of Benelli, with their first new bike in decades – The Tornado Tre 900 Superbike. These are also the last true Italian designed and produced bikes by Benelli in their home town of Pesaro before the company sold to the Chinese.
Benelli’s objective with this bike was clear: To Project the Ideal Sports Motorcycle !
The Tornado is a uniquely styled superbike, as the design was to reduce the frontal profile to make the bike as slippery and aerodynamic as possible. The engine was cut from 4 to 3 cylinders and the widest mechanical part, being the radiator was placed under the seat section. Air is then channeled through ducts either side of the headlight to the radiator and if you look closely at the rear end, you can see two yellow radiator fans underneath the brake light.
After Benelli went World Superbike Racing in 2001 and 2002, they revealed their very exclusive and hand-built homologation Tornado based on their World Superbike racer. Only 150 of these exclusive hand crafted units were ever built. The bike in picture is number 52.
It is adorned with:
- The entire bodywork, including petrol tank, indicators and number plate holder are made from Carbon Fibre.
- Marchesini forged aluminium wheel
- Titanium Arrow exhaust
- Ohlins front and rear suspension
- Brembo front and rear brakes
- Chrome Molybdenum front frame mixed with hollow cast aluminium rear box section
- Cast Magnesium engine parts
- Paintwork in special Benelli Green and Silver
- A plaque on the frame signifying which number of the 150 bikes produced it is (bike in picture being number 52)
- Each bike was delivered with a Benelli track stand, embroidered indoor bike cover, a briefcase with sprocket sets and track trinkets with the Benelli tool kit.
- Engine – 898cc, liquid cooled, 3 cylinder, DOHC, 4 valves per cylinder
- Bore x Stroke – 85.3 x 52.4mm
- Compression Ratio – 11.0:1
- Sagem, electronic ignition with 1 injector for each cylinder
- Transmission 6-speed with dry clutch
- Final Drive – Chain
- Weight – 185 dry
- Tyres – front 120/70-ZR17 , rear 180/55-ZR17
- Max Power – 104kW / 140hp @11500rpm
- Max Torque – 95Nm / 70.1lb-ft @ 8800rpm
More from our Museum
Moto Guzzi is an iconic Italian motorcycle manufacturer that is well-known for their historical prominence in racing and innovation's. They introduced the first motorcycle center stand, first bike manufacturer to use a wind tunnel and they gave us the first 500cc...
Suzuki released an incredibly faithful reproduction of the original 1100cc, as a pocket rocket in the form of a 400cc, using the Suzuki Bandit motor as its heart
Aprilia with their heritage and race pedigree of 54 World titles to their name, stayed true to these principles when setting their goals with the RSV4 project.