2006 Yamaha YZF-R1 LE Limited Edition
This Bike is also known as the “50th Anniversary” model, “Kenny Roberts Replica”, or the “US Edition”
The reason for the US addition is because of the colour scheme that was made famous by the US racer “Kenny Roberts Snr”. He won 3 consecutive 500cc World GP titles in 1978, 1979 and 1980.
Kenny Roberts Snr raced in this Yellow Black block design, also known as Speedblock design. He did not win Yamaha’s first world title, but the first 3 consecutive titles for them, cementing the corporate paint scheme to Yamaha and Kenny’s success. To celebrate Yamaha’s 50th anniversary they used this distinctive colour scheme.
This bike was one of the most exotic, exclusive open-class weapons ever to come out of Japan in its day. They were limited to a production run of ONLY 500 units. The bike in picture is number 24.
It is adorned with:
- Swedish-built Ohlins suspension front and rear
- Gold forged aluminium Marchesini wheels front and rear (in the same Y-spoke pattern as Valentino Rossi’s M1 racebike)
- Rear suspension adjustable for ride height
- Back torque-limiting slipper clutch,
Starter button doubles as a lap timer control for the racetrack
- The yellow paint scheme has a metallic flake in it
- A plaque on the triple-clamp signifying which number of the 500 produced it is (this bike in picture being number 24)
- The Yamaha badges on these bikes are not the traditional 3 silver tuning forks but 3 gold tuning forks as per Rossi’s M1 again, signifying this is something very special and rare
- This bike in picture also has been signed by Valentino Rossi himself on the petrol tank
- Extensive use of hollow bolts and lightweight fasteners to help trim overall weight
- These bikes were also supplied with a special R1 tool kit presented in a metal box with insignia.
- Engine – 998cc, liquid cooled, 20 valve, DOHC, in-line four-cylinder
- Bore x Stroke – 77 x 53.6mm
- Compression Ratio 12.4:1
- Carburetion Fuel injection, dual valve throttle bodies with motor-driven secondary valves
- Ignition DC-CDI
- Transmission 6-speed w/multiplate clutch
- Final Drive #530 O-ring chain
- Weight – 174kg dry (claimed)
- Tyres – front 120/70-ZR17 , rear 190/50-ZR17
- Max Power – 128kW / 175hp @ 12500rpm (Ram air)
- Max Torque – 106.6NM @ 10500rpm (Ram air)
More from our Museum
BMW HP4 "High Performance Four" The HP label stands for High Performance and this HP series was founded by BMW in 2005. After the boxer models HP2 Megamoto, the HP2 Enduro and the HP2 Sport, the BMW HP4 is the first 4-cylinder motorcycle in the HP family. The BMW HP4...
BMW HP2 SPORT "High-Performance Twin"A true Race Replica from the Bayerische Motoren Werke! This is a surprisingly faithful replica of the factory's endurance racer, performance before unheard of from a road-going BMW.BMW Motorrad deliberately decided to further...
1982 DUCATI 900 MHR "Mike Hailwood Replica" Mike Hailwood also known as "Mike the Bike" is one of the most celebrated racers of all time. Having won 76 Grand Prix, 112 Grand Prix podiums, 14 Isle of Man TT wins and 9 World Championships. In 1978 after an 11 year break...